Shed for Bike Storage
With Britain's success at the Tour de France, as well as the Beijing and London Olympics, cycling is experienced a resurgence in popularity. Although second-hand options are always available, if you want a brand new bicycle it could be costly. Your average bicycle, alongside a helmet, lock, pump and rack, could cost you up to £500. This is all the more reason to ensure your bike is secure. Bicycles are valuable items and are unfortunately very easy to steal and pass on very quickly. According to the UK Government, more than half of all bicycle thefts take place from an owner's property. With this in mind, you should probably review how secure your garden is.
If you want a secure new storage space for your bicycle, we'd recommend one of our Garden Sheds. Our expert team will build your shed to your requirements. For instance, you can choose for it to be partitioned to create a dual purpose area, which could be used for the storage and/or maintenance of your bicycle. You may also like to include a security pack, which features security screws on the hinges, making it impossible to unscrew and lift the doors off, which is a frequently used way of breaking into sheds. 13mm (1\2 inch) stainless steel bars are mortised into the window frame during manufacturing, which means that even if a thief were able to smash the toughened safety glass, they could not get in through the restricted space. This still allows you to have windows in your shed if you require additional light and/or ventilation. A 7-lever, anti-pick, anti-crop lock completes the last feature of our security pack and comes with its own set of unique keys. To find To find out more about our security pack read our Garden Shed and Workshop Security article.
Keeping your Bicycle Safe
The Metropolitan Police service offer the following advice:
- Get your bike security marked and registered at BikeRegister.com - the UK's free Police-approved database. Getting your bike security marked and registered is an additional visible deterrent to bike thieves.
- Record details of your bike, including the frame number (normally found underneath the bike between the pedals or where the back wheel slots in) and any other distinguishing features.
- Don't forget to take a photo of your bike.
- Use locks of gold 'Sold Secure' standard. Use two different types of lock, with at least one being a high-quality D-lock.
- Lock the frame and both wheels to the parking stand and as close to the stand as possible.
- Take parts of your bike that are easy to remove with you such as saddles and wheels OR use secure skewers which secure bike components to the frame permanently. Wherever possible, lock your bike in a well lit area which is covered by CCTV.
- Take the same care to lock your bike securely at home as bikes are frequently stolen from communal hallways, gardens, and sheds.
- Take precautions to make sure that you don't buy a stolen second-hand bike - insist on proof of ownership and check the bike frame number at BikeRegister.com prior to purchase.
Secure Options for Storing Your Bike
Our Superior Sheds are a particularly good choice for bicycle storage. They are more of a heavy duty structure, in comparison to our Classic Sheds for instance. This minimises any chance of potential thieves breaking through the timber. Our Timber Garages are also well regarded as a hard-wearing storage solution.
We have a large range of luxury made-to-measure Garden Buildings, and our team are always on hand to match one with your unique requirements. If you want a secure high quality garden building, see all we have to offer by visiting one of our UK National Show Centres. If you have any queries, don't hesitate to get in touch.