Model railroading is a hobby that is loved by many across the UK. The fun is found in constantly working on and improving your creation, with many enthusiasts continuing to expand upon their passion projects with new ideas and kit. Whether you are interested in scale or gauge, HO or G, there are many alleyways to go down with it.
Having spent all of this energy on such a hobby, we’re sure you will want to keep any damage to a minimum! Nothing lasts forever though and one of the most frustrating things to cause damage to your railroad is train derailment. Thankfully this is preventable, with these helpful tips to lower the risk of derailment.
- Do your trains get stuck on certain parts of the track? If this is the case, you may just need to get the good old-fashioned elbow grease out and give the track a thorough clean. If you do this though, avoid using harsh chemicals as this may damage the track further.
- Are your trains of a good quality? Purchasing better quality trains and cars will help a lot with derailment. The problem with cheaper mass-produced trains is that they aren’t built for hard-work; their parts wear out quicker making them more prone to derailments. Your wallet may take a hit initially but trust us, it will work out better in the long-run and let’s face it, a better-quality train will look more impressive too!
- Is your layout outside? A garden layout can be a fun thing, but what happens if the wind picks up, or the heavens open? Are your trains going to be protected? Will they have a big drop if they fall off or get blown off the tracks? If you’re worried about this, it may be worth transferring your railway to an indoor spot. We make many Garden Sheds and Workshops for customers who want a place for their model railway. Our sheds offer a safe, secure place for model railway layouts with the option to have the externals looking attractive, as well as making the inside practical with lining, insulation and electrics.
- Take your pedal off the metal… Do you like making your trains go fast? While it may be fun to watch, it may actually be the root cause of your derailments! If you're having frequent derailments, it may do you well to remember the old adage that slow and steady wins the race.
- Is the weight balance of your cars okay? Do you have a lightweight car following a heavy car? The heavy car could be pulling the lighter car around at a faster pace than it should, which could lead to the lighter car being flung off the track.
Model railways are a wonderful way to enjoy your free time; just remember that the more they are looked after, the more enjoyment you will get out of them.
If you're looking for a dedicated space to pursue your favourite past-time, our luxury Garden Buildings make ideal hobby rooms. Not only can you have them custom-built to your requirements, our dedicated team will deliver and install them free of charge. You can see all we have to offer, including Garden Sheds, Summerhouses and Garden Studios, by visiting one of our seven UK Show Centres.
Happy railroading folks!